Kalea's Learning Portfolio

KALEAS LEARNING PORTFOLIO

Week 4 Reflection: Why Consider a Multimedia Classroom?

Photo by James McKinven on Unsplash

What are the Benefits of a Multimedia Classroom?

A multimedia classroom recognizes that students learn at different speeds, in a variety of different ways and considers these differences to create a more engaging environment. The use of media in, or out of the classroom provides opportunities for students to deepen their understanding of material in more engaging ways. You could say that multimedia classrooms are less boring” than traditional ones, because they are focused on engaging students and fostering true learning rather than simply getting through the curriculum content. Establishing a multimedia classroom can be as simple as integrating useful graphics and interactive animations into everyday lessons, which are the most beneficial to younger students who struggle to process verbal and written information efficiently (Clark & Meyer, 2016). While the guidance of a teacher is still crucial in a students educational development, introducing engaging media sources such as videos allow students to learn more independently, at a pace that is more comfortable for them (Sal Kahn, 2011). While it is not always necessary to create meaningful, detailed graphics for every lesson, it is crucial to provide visual sources when introducing new or difficult concepts to young learners (Clark & Meyer, 2016).

How Will I Utilize Multimedia In My Future as an Educator?

I am lucky to say that I’ve always been “good” with media technology and enjoy using it! I realize now this will be very beneficial for both my students and I , and I’m excited to continue expanding my technological knowledge! The online 2020-2021 school year caused by COVID-19 was certainly not a positive experience, but I was able to navigate all the new technology thrown at me with some ease and that was a huge relief. Throughout my journey of online classes, I came across many incredibly useful online sources that aided greatly in my success! Khan Academy and Crash Course were the two that I always found myself going back to. A few of my instructors would even provide videos from their sites as extra review, which is how I stumbled across them in the first place! When I have my own classroom, I hope to find and create mini-lessons like this to create more engaging everyday lessons! I am absolutely in love with Sal Khan’s idea of freeing time for discussion by utilizing media/ instructional video and minimizing the need for the standard sitting and listening routine. I hope to follow these steps and create a more engaging community that has time to adapt to the needs of all learners in the classroom! I very much enjoyed this weeks content and I’m ready to learn more about establishing a multimedia classroom!