Kalea's Learning Portfolio

KALEAS LEARNING PORTFOLIO

Week 7 Reflection: An Introduction to EDcamp

What is EDcamp?

This week was the first time I had ever heard of an EDcamp, and I have to say I am very intrigued by the idea! An “EDcamp” is held on pro-d days and is essentially run by teachers and other learners (anyone can attend) themselves. While it resembles a typical all day conference, there is no set schedules or topics of discussion that participants are forced to sit through. All the topics are created and voted on by educators before the “conference” begins, and they are allowed choose freely on what topics they attend and even how long they stay! This personalized and inclusive learning experience is meant to bring teachers together on both their similarities and differences, in a judgement-free zone! While I technically could attend right now, I’m excited to experience these EDcamps when I am an official educator! Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 there has not been an EDcamp held in Victoria, BC since 2019, but I’m excited to attend when they start back up again!

2015 EDcamp held in Victoria, BC:

More information about the EDcamp held in Victoria, BC can be found on the following websites:

My First EDcamp Experience

In my first EDcamp session, I chose emotional intelligence as my first discussion topic. It was really cool to see other people (even though it was a very small group) who were interested in the topic that I came up with, and hear their differing ideas on how to integrate emotional intelligence into the everyday classroom. I did a lot of listening during our first session, but hearing my classmates thoughts and opinions about emotional intelligence definitely helped me consolidate the research I have done for inquiry topic for my seminar class! I’m excited for our classes next EDcamp session!

Sources